Due to the name of Green Canyon, many tourists perceive this place as a classic river valley with steep slopes. It’s actually a large reservoir of artificial origin in the mountains near Side resort. The surrounding area is considered a national park and attracts its visitors primarily with magnificent landscapes. The English-speaking guide will focus on the history and main features of this place, and the rest can be seen with your own eyes.
The road to the reservoir starts from the Manavgat Waterfall, which appeared during the construction of the dam and was formed in the old bend of the Manavgat River. There are 27 mountain springs which fill in the reservoir. Previously, in the canyon there were ancient Roman aqueducts providing Side with water. During the construction of the reservoir they were flooded.
The Green Canyon was called like this not in vain. The water is fascinating with many shades of this color. The picturesque ravine is covered with emerald greenness reflected in water. A variety of trees and shrubs grow around the water body, including:
The abundance of greenness brings peace, and during blossoming the air is saturated with breathtaking aromas. There are wild black goats on the cliffs and soaring mountain eagles in the sky which choose this area for their nests. There are some rare and endangered species here, e.g. brown fish owls. Trout lives in the water.
The Green Canyon’s unique panorama can be admired from the observation deck on the dam. At this stage there is some free time to take unforgettable photos.
The infrastructure in this area does not mostly exist, so there is a special atmosphere. The Green Canyon tour is a great possibility to get away from the intensive life of public resorts.
The Oymapinar Dam is one of the five largest dams in Turkey. It was designed in the USSR and was being built by the German company during seven years. The dam is 185 m high and more than 350 m wide.
The plant started operating in 1984. Almost half of its energy is consumed by the Seydisehir Aluminyum Plants.
Yachting and swimming
The tour includes a yacht ride for almost 4 hours. It is a wonderful holiday and a great place for enjoying nature, fishing and unique photo- or video-shooting.
The water trip consists of two parts:
– The Grand Canyon is 4 km long;
– The Small Canyon is 2 km long.
There is a small waterfall at the end of the ravine. After a boat trip, you can swim in the reservoir. You should bear in mind that underground sources provide the water temperature of 12°C for the whole year. It is too cold for a long swim, but it allows you to refresh yourself, especially during the hot dry season.
On our website you will find tours for all tastes, including the Green Canyon tour. The tour includes a round-trip transfer and lunch in the restaurant on the bank of the reservoir. According to the tourists’ reviews, one of the most delicious dishes here is trout.
• Collection of tourists from hotels by region;
• Arrival at Green Canyon;
• Stop at the dam (observation deck) for photos;
• Boat trip; • Stop for swimming;
• Lunch at a restaurant;
• Return to hotels.
✔ Transfer from and to the hotel
✔ Air-conditioned bus
✔ Drinks and swimming in the river
✔ Fishing tackle
✘ Any personal expenses (photos, souvenirs, etc.)
• Have your passport with you;
• The pick-up time from your hotel is indicated in the voucher that is sent after booking the excursion;
• Transport for the excursion should be expected on the street before entering the hotel, at the gate;
• In case of transport delay for more than 15-20 minutes, contact the operator.
• Babies sit in the arms of their parents. To purchase a separate seat on the bus, contact the operator.
• Beach accessories, drinking water on the road;
• Comfortable clothes, hats, sunglasses, comfortable shoes, sunblock / sunscreen.;
• Money to pay for additional services and all kinds of purchases
• For early excursions, order Breakfast (lunch package) at the hotel.